Saturday, March 21, 2009

Marley & Me


I never wanted to read the book because I figured that a book about someone's life with a dog had probably to end, well...with the dog's final moments. Having a Labrador myself and being a hyper-sensitive dog lover I chose not to read the book. I did give a copy to my mum as a gift when it came out in Portuguese and she absolutely loved it.

Now, if I didn't read the book why would I go and see the movie? Well, one part of me cannot resist dogs, full stop. The other part told herself it'd be fine if I stopped watching when he gets old and all that. I did...I focused on this blue light on the cinema's floor, closed my eyes, sang a song in my head, swore when I heard snippets of what was being said, etc. My mum on the other hand said how silly of me not to want to watch the end, it was only a movie, death was part of life and all that. So I was a little surprised when I heard this sobbing by my side. Everyone in the cinema is getting up and she's sitting there sobbing blocking everyone's way for a few embarrassing moments.
I do want to read the book now because I want to read things that John Grogan said or thought that could not be shown in the film. I look forward to that.







"A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. Status symbol means nothing to him. A waterlogged stick will do just fine. A dog judges others not by their color or creed or class but by who they are inside. A dog doesn't care if you are rich or poor, educated or illiterate, clever or dull. Give him your heart and he will give you his."

No comments: